Testing incoming SPF at the user level

2004-01-29 09:08:32
I mentioned in my last long post the possibility of a perl script, run from .procmailrc or similar, that allows the user to keep an eye on the real-world operation of SPF.

Here's what I do:

My .procmailrc lines read:

:0f
*
| php -q /home/wechsler/scripts/spf_filter.php

spf_filter.php is a front end to the same SPF-checking library that runs on infinitepenguins.net to support the tools on the website.

It adds three lines to emails passing through it:

1) Received-SPF: as per the spec
2) X-SPF-Record: contains the SPF record applied to help me debug
3) X-Original-Sender: gives me the MAIL FROM address which seems to vanish somewhere later in the mail processing chain (told you I wasn't an email expert).

Unfortunately my code is: a) in PHP, b) less than tidy and c) completely non-portable (I run a custom PHP for the infinitepenguins site).

What I'm asking then is whether anyone who's rather better at perl (or the language of your choice) than me can create a script that can act as a procmail filter as above, to allow others to test SPF as I do.

I also perform a second stage of filtering my email client
(Mozilla Mail):

The presence of an SPF record in X-SPF-Record triggers the 'flag' icon.
SPF-Received: Pass highlights the message title in blue.
SPF-Received: Fail highlights the message title in purple.

This way I, as an end user, can see exactly what SPF means for my incoming mails. And get far too excited when my mail changes colour ;)

HTH,
        Wechsler

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage