RE: Council: The Meeting on 2005-02-29

2005-02-24 12:13:14
With my "Council Member" hat on...

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
  * Limitation of SPFv1 records to the use with RFC 2821 identities:
    Meng reported that he had been told by Microsoft that the IETF DEA
    directorate was going to review a set of drafts that would
    constitute [...]

    However, the other council members unanimously reaffirmed their
    view [...]

Yeah yeah, you decided not to give an inch. As is pointed out elsewhere
the DK license is also incompatible with the GPL, nobody has
complained. It is not only the Microsoft lawyers who have a problem
with issuing a license on the terms demanded by Rosen. I don't think
any corporation is going to provide that type of license.

I believe that it is important to offer HELO^d^d^d^dPRA as an option
because there are going to be people making that check, there is no way
to stop them so we might as well ensure that everyone makes the same
check.

You are missing the point.  SPFv1 is foremost SPF, and not a part of
Sender-ID.  SPF has existed a long time before Sender-ID was born, and a
lot of domain owners had already published "v=spf1" records when S-ID
tried to redefine their meaning.

This is almost entirely not a question of MS-hate or wrong pride, but of
guaranteeing backwards compatibility.  We simply cannot -- and I can't
stress this enough -- risk blessing a potentially harmful redefinition of
the meaning of a huge number of long published "v=spf1" records.  This is
the uniform view of four of the council members.  Please do not belittle
our intent to protect the integrity of existing "v=spf1" records.

The argument that _some_ people are going to apply "v=spf1" records to
non-MAILFROM identities anyway doesn't hold because _some_ people always
do absurd things, no matter what a standard allows or prohibits.  (You
don't generally allow cars to pass crossings when the lights are red just
because some people will do it anyway.)

With "v=spf2", this is an entirely different matter, and Chuck's explicit
statement at the end of the council's discussion should have made this
sufficiently clear.

Julian Mehnle,
SPF Council Member.