RE: Forwarding/Redirecting: The problem as I see it....

2005-07-06 07:21:47

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Dick
St.Peters
Sent: 06 July 2005 15:14
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Forwading/Redirecting: The problem as I see
it....

You seem to understand the problem, but what makes you claim this
forwarding is "wrong"?  RFC2821 explicitly permits it.

That RFC even describes it as common, and it's a lot more common than
most people on this list seem to realize, especially this time of year
when thousands of university students have their school address
forwarded to their home address or some temporary summer address.

Well... not official wrong, but wrong in the sense that this is the cause of a
major headache for the validation of a sender.

I know it is extremely wide spread, having working for small ISP and Internet
service companies for over 10 years I do not underestimate the extent of this
problem.

This is why I cannot see SPF taking off in its current state of only solving
the problem IF major changes are made across the board for anyone who forwards.

Dan