CNAME limit

2005-07-21 18:07:46
How many CNAMEs should an SPF implementation follow before returning
PermErr?  SHould each CNAME link count as a DNS lookup for the overall
lookup limit?  A quick example to make sure we're on the same page:

loop.example.com        IN CNAME        loop.example.com.

Now, we *could* keep a stack and follow chains of arbitrary depth
while detecting infinite loops.  However, that still makes a CNAME
DOS attack trivial:

evil0.example.com       IN CNAME        evil1.example.com.
evil1.example.com       IN CNAME        evil2.example.com.
evil2.example.com       IN CNAME        evil3.example.com.
evil99999.example.com   IN CNAME        evil0.example.com.

An algorithmic DNS server will greatly aid the attacker :-)