SPF Mayhem on way ? - From postfix-users

2005-07-22 06:14:24
I thought I would cross-post this as a reminder for anyone providing DNS
services out there.  Please work with your customers BEFORE you publish
records on their behalf.  This is the number 1 source of angry complaints
via the SPF web site.

I've redacted the names and e-mail addresses (hopefully I can do that
correctly this time) since this comes from another list.

This isn't just inconvenient, it's going to cost you customers.

Scott K

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-postfix-users(_at_)postfix(_dot_)org

Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:33 PM
To: postfix-users(_at_)postfix(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: SPF Mayhem on way ?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:21:32 -0400
wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:15:48PM +0100,  wrote:

Not strictly a postfix matter but even so.

Late last week I got a call from one of my clients. He was having
trouble getting a message though to someone and could not make sense
of
what was happening.

A bit of digging revealed that the message was being rejected because
SPF records said his address was not the registered sender for his
domain (this is a static IP with MX record).

Further check revealed that his domain registrar had put up SPF
records
for all of the domains they look after and had quoted their own mail
servers as the correct sources. I'm still trying to find out if this
happened before or after the MX was changed, I suspect it was after.

What's doubly upsetting about this action is that there seems to be
nothing on the registrars web site about this and I understand that no
notifications have been sent to domain owners either.

For information the registrar in question is Netcetera
(www.netcetera.co.uk).

The appopriate response is to update the NS records to nameservers that
do not capriciously take such unilateral action.

Precsiely what I have said to the client. The problem is knowing first !.