Re: What to do about the SPF domain name

2005-07-28 21:22:46

Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
On 28/07/05, wayne <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wrote:

What do people think about either using something like openspf.info
instead of openspf.org and hope that openspf.org never falls into the
wrong hands?

What do people think about skipping the openspf domain names and going
with the second place finisher, spf-classic.org?

I think that 'spf-classic.org' is a much better name for the
SPF-Classic specification, as opposed to openspf.org/info/com/net.

De facto, 'Open-' is reserved for the OpenBSD projects. :-) Seriously,
they have OpenBSD, OpenSSH, OpenBGPD, OpenNTPD and OpenCVS is about to
come.

The very fact that you would have to state "open-" is associated with BSD projects shows that not too many people know it. Indeed people probably know linux better then openbsd.

Let's leave it up to them to do the 'Open'-branded things, they
have most likely been the first ones to do it. ;-)

It's a free world, especially in "open" society.

Or should we let Microsoft be the only provider of desktop OS's, since they were the first?

Why create more confusion if you could avoid one? Don't you think that
the fact that you cannot get hold of openspf.org might be a sign from
God that you should not use the openspf name? ;-)

I think you hold openbsd in too high regard, and possibly other things too.

P.S. I did participate in the voting, and voted for the spf-classic domains.

You opinion counts, although your logic is flawed.

Terry

Cheers,
Constantine, a *BSD user.