[spf-discuss] Re: STD 3 vs STD 10 (was Re: Re: other modifiers)

2006-02-14 13:09:38
Dick St.Peters wrote:

if you think STD 3 was "always wrong", write an update and
get it adopted.

2821 updates 1123 chapter 5, work on 2821bis is temporarily
halted (various reasons, see the SMTP mailing list).  I've
proposed (at least here) to extract the historical stuff like
source routes from 2821 into a separate draft, and that would
also cover (= explain) the 5.3.6(a) issue, after all it's
still the same in 2821 and no moving target.  And the rest of
2821bis without this historical ballast might then be easier.

all of 1123, including 5.3.6(a) forwarding, is part of STD 3
a full formal standard with all the authority of STD 10.

The precise authority measured by what, all mailers supporting
say source routes, SEND, SOML, and SAML ?  These texts are old.
The only way to do something about it is 2821bis, or a part of
this project.

Your not liking it does not change that.

Do you seriously believe that RfC 1123 got 5.3.6(a) right ?

Somehow "like" doesn't enter the picture, there are several
points in SPF which I don't like, and SPF is a rather odd way
to address the 5.3.6(a) issue.  But in essence I think SPF
got it right, harden the Return-Path, anything else follows
automagically.
                         Bye, Frank