[spf-discuss] Re: FYI: What's an experiment?

2006-02-15 23:00:49
Hector Santos wrote:

Do you know how many current IETF "experiments" exist?

No.  But I guess it's almost impossible to answer that, they
don't move "cruft" automatically to "historic" when it's
obsolete.  The "decrufting experiment" tried to cleanup old
stuff, and that experiment will be finished as soon as the
RfC editor marked the listed documents as "historic".

Do you have a list of the current ID or proposed that are
ranked as IETF "experiments?"

It's only about status experimental, but not all experimental
RFCs are IETF experiments, it's also possible to submit such
RFCs directly to the RFC-editor without much IETF involvement.

I've an _old_ (2001) file rfc-indx.txt on a CD ROM, it lists
all RfCs with their status.  You probably also have it, or a
fresher version should be available at RfC-editor.org.  The
format would allow to extract all "status experimental" RfCs
with gawk (or sed, but I never recall the sed syntax).  The
oldest is RfC 887 published 1983, probably a hopeless case
to dig through these tons and tons of obsolete "cruft".  Bye