xsl-list

RE: converting xsl-wd to xsl1, msxml script changes

2003-02-14 10:37:14

From: "bryan" <bry(_at_)itnisk(_dot_)com>
See one thing is it's rather unclear what you want the whole thing to
do, you say you want to start a javascript process up but the reason?

The reason is that the javascript (not in this case but in others) passes
node sets to the application. I am sure its not needed like that in the long
run but in the short term there is a demo in a few weeks, I am new and in no
position to start throwing my weight around.

It is at any rate not considered a good thing to have scripted
extensions inside of ones xslt as it interferes with cross-processor
portability and also could make life difficult for future maintainers of
your application. Consider if for example someone like myself had to
work with this application at some point, I would probably want to
rewrite the whole thing from the bottom up to remove the necessity of
dealing with jscript inside of my xslt. Or if the company hires somebody
who has learned xslt working mainly with xalan or saxon or the like, if
all processing is actually done inside of a scripted extension their
experience is rendered useless. Many of these issues came up in the
debate over xslt 1.1 which was never completed as a rec, a good synopsis
of the problems caused by scripted extensions can be found at
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200103/msg00000.html

The cross platform aspect is very important to me but sadly of no interest
to the company whatsoever. this is a win32 program and always will be - its
even restricted to what hardware it can be run on. I personally hate that as
I am a mac osx user by choice, a linux and windows c++ programmer, windows
c# programmer and osx objective C programmer so I don't like that
restriction.
That however is a battle for another day!

Woody