xsl-list

RE: Are variables allowed in XPATHs?

2003-02-02 21:18:26

Harry Ohlsen wrote:

I've written some XSL that is parameterised based
on a set of variables defined in an xsl:include-ed
file.  The reason is that I want to separate the
generic transformation from the specifics, both to
facilitate re-use and to avoid unintentional
editing of the XSL when targeting it at a specific
instance of the problem.

This seems to work fine with Xalan, but XMLSpy
gives me an error, saying that variables and
parameters cannot be used in patterns.

Am I doing something that may break if I move from
Xalan to another processor, or is XMLSpy just
telling me that this is a limitation in its debugger?

I'm particularly interested, since I am in the
process of evaluating XMLSpy.  If this is a
limitation of XMLSpy, can anyone point me to
another tool that can handle this kind of code,
since I expect to be writing a lot of it.

Of course, if there's a better way to approach the
problem, I'd be interested to hear that, too!
I've only been hacking at XSLT for about a week,
so I'm definitely not au fait with all its
facilities, yet.

It might help if you gave us a look at the exact pattern to which XMLSpy was
objecting.

-- Roger