xsl-list

Re: [xsl] MatTS, an alternate syntax for XSLT

2006-04-01 07:36:24
Wow, this is what I've been waiting for! I was just thinking the other day that XSLT is cool and all, but it clearly does not have enough Greek symbols. I can't believe how perfectly your proposal addresses my deepest needs as a human being!

Thank you Sean, I am indebted to you.

Evan

Sean M. Burke wrote:
In the best tradition of modern higher mathematical notation and typography [http://math.berkeley.edu/~ilya/papers/PL_Grassmannian/gel_dikf.pdf], I have chosen well-known Greek letters and various printers' symbols for the operators.

The following table illustrates and specifies this formalism:

    α apply-imports
    β apply-templates
    τ attribute
    Ξ attribute-set
    λ call-template
    ξ choose
    ψ comment
    μ copy
    γ copy-of
    Ν decimal-format
    π element
    θ fallback
    ζ for-each
    φ if
    Ω import
    Γ include
    Θ key
    μ message
    Α namespace-alias
    ν number
    ς otherwise
    Δ output
    Χ param
    Κ preserve-space
    ε sort
    ο strip-space
    Σ stylesheet
    Λ template
    ι text
    Τ transform
    κ value-of
    δ variable
    σ when
    χ with-param
    Π processing-instruction

    ¿... test="..."
    §... select="..."
    «...» (general attribute value)

The preceding explanation aside, the best way to appreciate MatTS is by simply trying it out -- MatTS as a visualization application is itself implemented in browser-accessible XSLT, and so can be used to view other XSLTs as well as itself:
 http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts_usage_example.xsl
 http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts.xsl
Compare with the clutter of those XSLs when viewed in conventional XSLT notation:
 http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts_usage_example.xsl.txt
 http://interglacial.com/~sburke/pub/xsl/matts.xsl.txt