xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Managing cross references when combining XML files into one document

2006-12-29 08:29:04
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:15:27 -0500, Trevor Nicholls <trevor(_at_)castingthevoid(_dot_)com> wrote:

The difficulties lie on the import side. Here the lookup to the target id is not possible because that id (probably) is not in the initial input file but
in one of the included documents. If I had control over the XSL steps I
could execute a second stylesheet to do a second pass after the document had
been fully expanded, but I can only invoke a single XSL step and I don't
know how to do two-stage processing, or even if it is possible. An
alternative option would be to treat all links as external (even when they point to an internal element in the expanded file) but to do this I need to know the document filename. Again, if I had control of the XSL steps I could pass the name in a parameter, but I don't and I can't. Is there a smart way of accessing the document name (it would become a Xalan-specific question at
this point)?

Are you saying framemaker limits you to a one pass transformation?

Are you getting the source files from a local/network filesystem? Or some kind of web service/application?

Is this for a single user or multiple? If multiple users, how would you manage document locking?

What happens if a link @ref/@idref references a parent/ancestor document?

But anyway :) -- can you create a lookup XML that maps the idref's to URI's? Then you could just pull in that lookup with the document function and resolve the URIs.

Or, you could setup a webapp that you would call from the transformation
(e.g.
document(http://myapp/resolver?idref=xxx (or ?src=yyy))

and return the necessary XML. This would also allow a central place for document locking and perhaps a way to check for recursive document inclusion.

best,
-Rob

Thanks for any advice
Trevor