xsl-list

Re: [xsl] are all strings in a sequence valid potential QNames

2010-02-04 04:24:54
On 4 February 2010 09:53, G. Ken Holman
<gkholman(_at_)cranesoftwrights(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 2010-02-04 09:45 +0000, Andrew Welch wrote:

Doesn't that restriction then make "castable as xs:QName" pretty
useless?   I can't see when you would need it...

I think many specifications end up with useless vestiges resulting from the
product of two concepts where most of the combinations make sense but the
odd one here or there end up not being very useful.  On the left operand you
have all of the different operands of literals and values, and on the right
operand you have all of the different types, and that produces a myriad of
combinations that need to be considered and implemented.

Without the restriction it's definitely useful, and intuitive :)
...but with the odd requirement that it will return false unless it's
given a hard-coded string, then it is a really subtle and annoying
gotcha... I'm sure one that's got me in the past.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com