xsl-list

Re: [xsl] When to use text()

2014-04-02 18:56:05
Hi Michael,

I must read that again.
I did not get it on the first read,

But please feel welcome to come to Berlin.

~eike

Am 21.03.2014 um 17:29  schrieb Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com>:

I wouldn't be blaming the programmers for that.

When you step back, it is clear from all the explanations given, that
the thing doesn't do what it says on the tin.

I think what Ihe is arguing for is that you should be able to read a program
without reading its specification and guess correctly what it does.

This can sometimes work if the language is sufficiently familiar to a
language that you are familiar with. In all other cases, making such an
assumption is dangerous and likely to lead you astray.

People who are only familiar with one or two languages A and B often wonder
why the language they are learning, X, is needlessly different from A and B.
It doesn't occur to them that the designers of X might be familiar with
dozens of languages, but have never encountered A or B.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

--~--