xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT vs Web Components

2014-09-11 14:34:33
Repeating a part of my post that may have got snipped

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:14 PM, Michael Kay mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

Well, one that I worked with was ICL QuickBuild, which was used by a few
hundred mainframe users in the UK for generating transaction processing
applications (some of them massive applications). It actually had many
XSLT-like characteristics (which is what attracted me to XSLT when I first
encountered it). A program was a declarative description of an entire user
session, with all the management of session state taken care of behind the
scenes. There were quite a few such languages - most, like this one, tied
to particular hardware and software environments. Software AG's NATURAL is
another example. I don't think any 4GL had more than about 3% of the
market, and that's mainly what killed them - no standards, no critical mass.

They were all proprietary and restricted to 1 hardware manufacturer. Then
along came relational databases, open systems and PC's.

Additionally although they were all tied to databases SQL was the NKOTB so
it was too early to brand themselves NoSQL.