dkim-dev

[dkim-dev] Re: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-threats-02 nit//Claim Responsibility for email address use?

2006-04-06 14:24:30
Doug,

This list is for discussion of software development, not changes to the
specifications.

d/

Douglas Otis wrote:
,----
|1.  Introduction
|
| DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) [I-D.ietf-dkim-base] defines a
| mechanism by which email messages can be cryptographically signed,
| permitting a signing domain to claim responsibility for the use of a
| given email address.
'----

The signature establishes that the signing-domain has handled the message. DKIM does not require an email-address be associated with a signing-domain. Even when a signing-domain can be seen as associated with an email-address in the message, there is no safe assurance the signing-domain is authoritative or controls use of the email-address. This statement is confusing the DKIM base with questionable concepts found in SSP.

This statement in isolation implies the goal of DKIM is to establish constrains on the use of one's email-address. A provider may elect to sign all messages irrespective of the email-address utilized by their customers, for example.

Suggested correction:

: DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) [I-D.ietf-dkim-base] defines a
: mechanism by which email messages can be cryptographically signed,
: permitting a signing domain to be identified as handling the signed
: portion of the message.

-Doug

NOTE WELL: This list operates according tohttp://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

--