[dkim-ops] DKIM DNS record cr lf

2008-02-24 12:12:36
A recent perusal of RFC 4871 reminded me that it uses the same tag-list
syntax for the DKIM-Signature: header and the DNS record.  The ABNF uses
FWS for folding white space, which means that the DNS records can contain
newlines, e.g.:

  v \r\n=DKIM1;\r\n h=\r\nsha256;p=\r\n"23jkdjk ... ;

Has anyone ever put a newline in a DKIM TXT record?  Would records with
new lines interoperate with existing DKIM implementations?

I gather the theory was that you'd use the same parser to handle the
header line and the TXT record, but it seems to me the parser needs to
know which one it's parsing due to other differences, e.g. you need to
trim off the trailing newline on the header line or the tag-list ABNF
won't match since it doesn't permit FWS after a final semicolon.

Regards,