Re: [dkim-ops] No signature on incoming mail

2010-04-10 23:59:00
-----Original Message-----
From: dkim-ops-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:dkim-ops-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Ernie Grossmann
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 1:33 PM
To: dkim-ops(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: [dkim-ops] No signature on incoming mail

I'm using a basic Ubuntu Server 9.10 x64 installation with
Postfix/Amavis/DKIM setup.  My outgoing mail is signed fine.  However,
the incoming mail doesn't appear to be.

99.9% of the mail comes in with this in the mail log:
<code>
dkim-filter[1626]: 07CF5134C5: no signature data
</code>

Most of your incoming mail is still unsigned.  This isn't an error, just an
observation in the log.

I did have one come in with this in the log:
<code>
dkim-filter[1626]: CD2CCD95 ADSP query: syntax error in policy data
dkim-filter[1626]: CD2CCD95: no signature data
</code>

Probably either a malformed ADSP record in the sending domain's DNS, or a
wildcard record that causes the ADSP record to point at something like an SPF
record.  And the message was unsigned.

and another one with this one (and this is the one that makes me wonder
about DNS resolution):
<code>
      dkim-filter[1626]: 7E6FDD95 ADSP query: timeout DNS query for
`d49.org'
dkim-filter[1626]: 7E6FDD95: no signature data
</code>

DNS timeouts aren't all that unusual.

This error comes from the header of an email from gmail user:
<code>
      domainkeys=softfail (invalid, public key: DNS query timeout for
gamma._domainkey.gmail.com)
</code>

Do most senders *NOT* use DK or DKIM signatures?  Do I have a problem
with my DNS?  How can I troubleshoot/fix?

It looks like it's operating normally to me.

DKIM is supplanting DK, but still both together don't have as much traction as
we'd like (yet).

That error doesn't look like something dkim-filter generated.  Are you pasting
or typing those manually?  You might look at using something like OpenDKIM.
The dkim-filter package is unmaintained.