[dkim-ops] Mixing signed and unsigned Emails?

2011-01-13 12:01:01
I work for a company who sends email on behalf of our clients, and we encourage
our clients to set up SPF and DKIM to get the best deliverability possible. We
recently had a client raise a concern I hadn't though about before:

"Some mail filters may have memory. If they see that mail from
http://domain.com/ comes with domainkey, they may think that all mails from
domain should be signed. Next mail comes from domain without domainkey
signature, mail filter may assign it lower score, and after passing all checks,
could be eventually rejected."

Is this something to be concerned about? For our application, it is easy for us
to turn on DKIM signing because our app and mail servers are already all
configured to handle it. However for the organization itself with many mail
servers that may need to be reconfigured it's a much longer process to get all
outgoing email DKIM-signed.

So, my question is - does anyone know if there are email servers/ISPs who will
penalize messages from a DKIM-enabled domain if the message is not signed?

Thanks for any insight!
-Zach