Re: fetchmail problem using dynamic IP

2001-01-24 05:39:04

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Stefan Becuwe wrote:

Hello

When the machine is connected to the campus network, fetchmail works fine.
It retrieves the messages without any problem.

I have a fixed ip address when connected to the network.
When dialing in using ppp, I get dynamically anoter address...

When stopping the network (/etc/init.d/network stop) and plugging in a
pcmcia modem card and logging in using kppp, it says:

(there are 107 seen messages and 1 new)

reading message 108 of 108 (... octets)
fetchmail: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for listener to respond.
fetchmail: client/server synchronization error while fetching from
anotherhost.uia.ac.be
fetchmaill: Query status=7 (ERROR)

I've modified .fetchmailrc according to FAQ G10 using the smtpaddres

set postmaster "USER"
set bouncemail
set properties ""
poll anotherhost.uia.ac.be
     user 'ANOTHERUSER' there with password 'xxxxx' is USER here
     options keep smtpaddress localhost

Is there anything else that has to be done to get fetchmail working in
this "hybrid" situation?

I have the a laptop that I bring into my system from home to campus. I
don't have access yet at home (this is a work in progress). The setup I
have is:

set log file "/<user dir>/log/fetchmail.log"  *** rotated using logrotate
set postmaster <user_local>
set bouncemail
set proprerties ""
poll mail.<domain> with proto POP3
        user <user> there with password <password> is <user_local> here
with here
        options fetchall warnings 3600
        antispam 571 550 501 554

I have used this setup from my parents house and from campus. Both work
fine. Ensure that you are using the right mail server and the dns is setup
properly. Also a side issue check the firewall if you use one. I have one
setup that prevents check mail from any mail server except those listed.
This can prevent fetchmail performing correctly.

Stephen

- --
Buyer's Guide for a Operating System:
Don't care to know: Mac
Don't mind knowing but not too much: Windows
Hit me! I can take it!: Linux