NTLM authentication over IMAP doesn't work.

2001-02-22 02:11:27
I'm trying to use NTLM authentication to get my mail off the Exchange
mailserver using IMAP (NTLM is also possible via POP3, but I can't figure
out how to enable that with Fetchmail). I've read the FAQ and everything:
nothing. Here's the deal:

I've compiled 2 fetchmail binaries. One with NTLM support, and the other
without.

When using the fetchmail that doesn't try NTLM authentication, I log on
using <DOMAIN>/<USER>/<ALIAS> and everything's cool. Mail comes in and I'm
happy.
If I repeat this with the *EXACT SAME* .fetchmailrc file, the mailserver
responds that I'm using an incorrect password.

Either I've run into an Exchangism, or the coded password I send out
doesn't match my password once it's decoded on the server because Fetchmail
somehow failed to encode it correctly or Exchange decodes it incorrectly.

Right now, I think it's Exchange that's messing around. If I use just
<USER> as username and I try to pick up email with the NTLM-enabled version
of fetchmail, I get the dreaded "NO no such mailbox" blurb. If I then
change my password to something different, I get the "NO Logon failure"
message. So it's clear that at least when using NTLM, the password checks
out fine when I use just my username.

If anybody's got any ideas on what I can do, or ask the admin to do, in
order to resolve this issue (switching over to a UNIX flavor is out. I
already asked that), I'd really appreciate it. I've included the output of
the "fetchmail -v" command for both the NTLM-enabled version and the
version that simply uses plain text passwords below.

Tom Wirschell
--
Joe and Jimmy would like to assure the general public that all animals
used, maimed or molested by Kid Death are professional actors and have