[fetchmail]Re: Fetchmail+Sendmail memory leak

2001-03-14 14:14:07
Remco B. Brink <remco(_at_)solbors(_dot_)no>:
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> writes:

Remco B. Brink <remco(_at_)solbors(_dot_)no>:
Fetchmail connects to the pop3 server and grabs the email like
expected, it then tries to feed it to the locally running Sendmail
process where the mail is not accepted (sendmail returns an error).
The problem then occurring is that the Sendmail connection is *not*
closed (sendmail eventually does go to CLOSE_WAIT), including connections
caused by other fetchmail connections. The amount of open Sendmail
connections will keep increasing until the system eventually is unable
to handle the memory usage.

What error is sendmail returning?

552 Headers too large (32kb max)

Sendmail gave a status message after that, which I unfortunately don't recall
and cannot seem to reproduce (Sendmail 8.9.3+ no longer support >32k headers).

I've looked through the code.  There are too many paths frm handle_smtp_error
for me to identify the leak.  Can you reproduce the error?   If so, I'll patch
in some tracing machinery so we can track this down.
--

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the
individual asserts both his social power and his participation in