Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail oddity

2001-05-12 01:15:22
"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
[....]

RFC2822 is clear on this.  The Sender field must be a legal mailbox address.

Eric, if Jonas made this into a configurable option, would you
consider incorporating his patch?

I'm very resistant to adding options.  Instead, I've added a simple
adaptation for 5.8.3 -- Sender and Resent-Sender headers are ignored
if they don't contain an @.  This should do as an ersatz for testing
whether the field contains a legal address.

That is probably good enough to fool most systems. However, with the
practice that some mailers (like Netscape) just puts the userid in there
and that other systems later will append their own domain if there is
none, RFC2822 is still not strictly fulfilled.

Our ISP fallback mail server (simba.lejonet.se) is a typical example of
that, therefore some of my mails will occasionally claim
"zap(_at_)lejonet(_dot_)se" even though that address does not exist.

                        / Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson             E-mail:
mailto:Jonas(_dot_)Petersson(_at_)adcore(_dot_)com