[fetchmail]Re: Can I flush my maildrop without delivering mail?

2001-08-14 08:24:49
Sorry for the repeated message; Haines Brown pointed me to a recent
exchange on this list where he described the same problem and its
solution.  "options limit 1 flush" does exactly what I need.

Thanks,
Jer

Jeremy Elson writes:
Hi,

I am in a somewhat unusual situation where I need to periodically log
into a number of POP and IMAP maildrops and delete any the mail that
may be there.  I don't want to deliver the mail to a local MDA; I just
wantto just drop the mail on the floor, to keep the maildrops from
going over quota.  Is there an easy way to configure fetchmail to do
this task that it would normally consider to be a cardinal sin?

Right now I'm just delivering to null(_at_)localhost (where null is
Sendmail's alias for /dev/null), but this has a number of problems.
Most importantly, it generates bounce messages for certain malformed
messages.  Also, it would be nice if (as an optimization) I could
simply delete the email without wasting the time or bandwidth to
download it first.

So, my questions are: does this feature exist in fetchmail; and, if
not, is anyone other than me likely to need it?  If no and yes, I may
write a proper patch.  If no and no, I'll probably just forget using
fetchmail for this particular task and write an expect script instead.

Regards,
Jeremy