Re: [fetchmail]Matthias Andree's Postfix bug report

2001-08-20 18:07:29
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)snark(_dot_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> wrote in Early July:

On 4 Jun Matthias Andree wrote:
To me, it looks like fetchmail intersperses the output of two separate SMTP
sessions it keeps:

reporting an obscure bug with Postfix that can be worked around by
configuring Postfix to "smtpd_delay_reject = no".

Matthias's bug report has been sitting in my mailbox for a month now,
making my brain hurt whenever I looked at it and tried to grok what
was actually going on there.

But I think Paul Howarth has now dispelled the mystery. Postfix
behaves by default roughly in the way fetchmail behaves with
FEATURE(delay_checks, friend).  In both cases, we need to handle bad
SMTP listeners to RCPT TO without resetting the connection.

Matthias?  Paul? Any comment?

Well, sorry, I missed your mail for so long and only accidentally came
across it when searching the archives for my name.

Please do always reply to my mail when answering or adding questions,
that will highlight them in my Gnus, and don't hesitate to remind me of
missing replies to your questions after, say, a fortnight.

Plus, if you have trouble with my bug reports, that may well be because
English is not my native language and my wording is
inappropriate. Please do ask again if the slightest bit is unclear.

Anyways, I retested with 5.9.0 after the 5.8.12 NEWS showed a relevant
bug fix and confirm that the bug I reported on 2001-06-04 is gone - in
either case of Postfix' $smtpd_delay_reject parameter (yes or no),
fetchmail bounces the mail properly.

I could see from the SMTP dialogs in verbose mode that on the first try,
MAIL FROM triggered the 553 message, while in the second try, RCPT TO
triggered it. In either case, the bounce message carried the complaint
"Invalid address in MAIL FROM (SMTP error 553) with according
Diagnostic-Code, Action and Status.

Thanks for throwing that bug out.