Re: [fetchmail]possible bug in fetchmails address parse

2001-09-09 03:01:37
 Marc A. Lehmann  <pcg(_at_)goof(_dot_)com>:
Hi ;)

My e-mail address (From: line etc..) is usually given as:

   <pcg( Marc)@goof(A.).(Lehmann )com>

and it seems some people using fetchmail encounter problems. Investigation
shows that they use something like "mda /usr/sbin/sendmail -f '%F' %T" or
equivalent. fetchmail seems to use the From: line for %F instead of the
envelope from, but in any case it seems to just pass

   pcg_

(no @ etc..), which of course is usually quite a different beast. SMTP
works fine, so something with the %F/%T string mangling is not only
suboptimal (crippling the address), but also buggy (at the least it should
only do pcg__Marc(_at_)goof etc,.. which would still be the wrong address but
would at leats work as advertised ;)

Congratulations.  You have the most perverse mail address I have ever seen
in twenty-five years of internetting.

The man page says:

The RFC822 address parser used in multidrop mode chokes on some
@-addresses that are technically legal but bizarre.  Strange uses of
quoting and embedded comments are likely to confuse it.

Sorry, I'm not going to try to fix this.  The RFC822 parser is too
ugly and complex as it is; I fear breaking it in the process of trying
to get it to handle this extremely marginal case.
--

A man with a gun is a citizen.  A man without a gun is a subject.