[fetchmail]newbie question

2001-11-13 11:54:42
(I am not subscribed so please reply to me at my email address, thanks)

ok this is going to be a very simple thing to answer but I have been scouring
the web for the last 2 days trying to work out what I am doing wrong.

I have a network, the gateway machine runs NetBSD and also qmail, I have a
windows client which can send and recieve mail from the netbsd box just fine.

Now I have another client which is running Debian 2.1.  I want this to
read/send emails, same account.

HOW DO I DO IT????

First I installed pine, that works nicely, then I read that it doesn't allow me
to get pop3 mail!!!!
I can send just fine

But I can't recieve.

So I got fetchmail, to let me read the local server and dump the contents on to
my client so pine can read them.

On the client machine I log in as root

The email account on the server is jon

so I created a .fetchmailrc in the root directory (the current user)

looks like this

-------------
set syslog
set daemon 300

poll 192.168.1.1 proto pop3 user "jon" pass "XXXXXX" keep forcecr

When I do fetchmail it does nothing.

I checked there is mail to read

/var/log/messages just seems at show --MARK--

Where does fetchmail send mail to?
What am I doing wrong?
How do I tell if fetchmail is getting the mail?