[fetchmail]Bizarre Timing Problem: Fetchmail, Pop3 and SSH

2001-11-14 14:26:29
I am having a devil of a time getting fetchmail and ssh to play nicely with
each other in retrieving mail from a pop3 server.

I've gotten the complex to work, using the following fetchmailrc file, >>but<<
only when I invoke fetchmail in >>verbose<< mode:

========================

# fetchmail control file (/etc/fetchmail.rc)
# updated 11/14/01
#

set postmaster "mark"
set no bouncemail
set syslog
set daemon 3600

poll localhost
  via localhost
  port 1234
  timeout 30
  protocol pop3

  username [remote user] password [remote password] is
    [local user] here no keep fetchall
    limit 0 mda /usr/local/bin/procmail -d %T"
  preconnect "(ssh -C -f [remote user](_at_)[remote pop3 server]
    -L 1234:[remote pop3 server]:110 sleep 5); sleep 5"

==================

In other words:

   fetchmail -v -f /etc/fetchmailrc

works, while

   fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmailrc

doesn't work. The latter fails with error 32512, localhost refused connection
(the daemon does start, however... and it gives the same error every time you
wake it up).

Any suggestions on how I can configure this stuff to work without having to
bloat up my log files??? <grin>

- Mark
mark(_at_)arcabama(_dot_)com