[fetchmail]Re: Fetchmail or POP3 server bug?

2001-11-20 10:45:12
Simon Lodal writes:
I have trouble fetching POP3 mail from our remote (hosted) mail server.
All details provided below. Basically the problems seems to be that the
remote server does not list messages beginning with 1, but fetchmail
will always start by sending "RETR 1", the mail server says no such
message, and that's the end. Is fetchmail wrong, or is the mail server
wrong?
According to the POP3 RFC1725, messages must be sequentially numbered, starting at 1. "After the POP3 server has opened the maildrop, it assigns a message- number to each message, and notes the size of each message in octets. The first message in the maildrop is assigned a message-number of "1", the second is assigned "2", and so on, so that the n'th message in a maildrop is assigned a message-number of "n". In POP3 commands and responses, all message-number's and message sizes are expressed in base-10 (i.e., decimal)." The slight oddity is that there is no requirement for the numbers to be consistently assigned over separate login sessions - but they must always start at 1.
--
Bill Michell
bill(_at_)mics(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk (home)