[fetchmail]Solved! "failed: Operation timed out"

2001-11-29 17:24:53
Previously I asked how in the world to solve the brick wall I was facing:
% fetchmail -v
fetchmail: 5.8.14 querying some.pop3.com (protocol POP3) at Sat, 13 Oct
2001 15:47:53 +0900 (JST)
POP3 connection to some.pop3.com failed: Operation timed out
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

As much as I knew it was a problem on this side and nothing to do with
fetchmail per se, still the program was sitting there useless to me.
I wonder if perhaps fetchmail couldn't be a little more helpful in its
exit status messages.  "Query status=2 (SOCKET)" left me completely
clueless, and I assume most of the people on the list.  Anyway, if you're
completely stumped and fairly confident that your system settings are
reasonably sane, and things just won't work, try the "no dns" option.
The "no dns" option was the magic invocation to get things working here.

henry nelson