[fetchmail]Suggestion for less verbosity in log

2001-12-13 05:56:47
Hi all,

A while ago I already touched on this matter as a side issue to another one.
In order to be able to read my email via webmail at my ISP for a few days
after fetchmail fetched it, I run with the --keep option. I have written a
Perl script that scans my ISP postoffice to clear message that are older
than 48 hours. So far so good. The problem lies when fetchmail skips the
read messages. Every skip is logged. With at least 50 messages in my ISP
mailbox at one time I get 50 lines of (IMHO) non-information in my syslog
every three minutes. A total of 4320 per day. Could this message be
suppressed unless running with --verbose? I have tweaked driver.c for myself
but hate to maintain my own version. And perhaps others consider this a
enhancement as well. My diff is below.

PS: If anyone is interested in my Perl script please tell me privately. It
would benefit from some peer review. Or should fetchmail be able to do delay
delete messages?

418c418,420
<           if (outlevel > O_SILENT)
---
              /* Report "Skipped message" for seen messages only
when --verbose is on. Jan Klaverstijn */
          /* if (outlevel > O_SILENT) */
          if (outlevel >= O_VERBOSE || (msgcodes[num-1] != MSGLEN_OLD &&
outlevel > O_SILENT))
668c670,672
<       else if (outlevel > O_SILENT)
---
      /* Report "Skipped message" for seen messages only when --verbose is
on. Jan Klaverstijn*/
      /*      else if (outlevel > O_SILENT) */
      else if (outlevel >= O_VERBOSE || (msgcodes[num-1] != MSGLEN_OLD &&
outlevel > O_SILENT))