Re: [fetchmail]Fetchmail / server communication problems

2001-12-21 13:12:18
I know it looks bad to be responding to your own posts, but this may be of use
to someone else.  On advice I received elsewhere, I set protocol to IMAP4.
This made sense, since it generally works better.  However, my ISP uses POP3
(though the server responds to IMAP4), and I think has optimized everything for
POP3.  So far, switching back to POP3 seems to have done the trick: no mail
hangups.

Now another question, if anyone cares to answer:  If server is set for POP3,
why did it respond to IMAP4, and (mostly) work OK?

* Cam Ellison (camellison(_at_)dccnet(_dot_)com) wrote:

Every once in a while, fetchmail and MailSite quit communicating, usually at
the beginning of the fetch stage.  It is as if fetchmail gives MailSite the
go-ahead, and MailSite wanders off, or MailSite is waiting for a signal from
fetchmail to proceed.  This _seems_ to occur with large packages or large
groups of packages, but that may be illusory.  I am inclined to blame
MailSite, but I don't know how much help I can get from the ISP.  They've
been basically obtuse so far.  I can _always_ download with Netscape, but
this is not at all my preference, more a desperation move.

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
From Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast