Re: [fetchmail]syslog non-verbose logging is excessive

2002-02-19 00:13:31
From: "Hochstedler, Ben (MED, GEMS-IT)"
<ben(_dot_)hochstedler(_at_)med(_dot_)ge(_dot_)com>

When the "keep" option is used with IMAP, syslog is set, and
verbose is not set, these messages are logged every time fetchmail
checks the server:

<---SNIP--->

As you can see, that makes the syslog file fill up quickly with
useless messages.

Attached is a patch that turns these off for non-verbose usage
as well as these messages:

Feb 18 08:45:07 eeyore fetchmail[21978]: sleeping at Mon Feb 18 08:45:07 2002 Feb 18 08:46:07 eeyore fetchmail[21978]: 700 messages (700 seen) for ms19057 at uswaumsx06medge.med.ge.com.

That way, the only time fetchmail will log something aside from
startup/shutdown is when it actually finds a new message to download.

Which interestingly is pretty much what my fetchmail does, except it doesn't even log the messages as it downloads (suits me nicely). I'm running 5.9.8 and the only logging related thing in my config is setting syslog.

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: