[fetchmail]Daemon not warning about auth failure

2002-03-11 01:52:27
I have been running fetchmail for more than a year to get mails from
an Exchange server, using NTLM authentication.

Lately (actually for several months) I have noticed that fetchmail no
longer sends me a mail, warning about authentication failure. This is
bad because here, the policy is to expire the Exchange account
password every two months. The result is that fetchmail silently keeps
running without doing anything useful.

What puzzles me is that exactly the same version of fetchmail (5.5.1)
*did* use to warn about this (and terminate) when I started using
it. Or did I just dream that? (Hmm, I couldn't find anything
about it in the man page just now.) I have tried versions 5.9.0 and
5.9.8 - they also failed to warn.

Anyway, how can I make sure fetchmail in daemon mode warns me about
authentication failure?

Here is an auth fail sample:

*550> fetchmail -cv
fetchmail: 5.9.8 querying ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se (protocol IMAP) at Mon,
11 Mar 2002 08:57:53 +0100 (MET): poll started
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK Microsoft Exchange IMAP4rev1 server version 5.5.2654.31
(ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se) ready
fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: IMAP< * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 IDLE LITERAL+ LOGIN-REFERRALS
MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE AUTH=NTLM
fetchmail: IMAP< A0001 OK CAPABILITY completed.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0002 AUTHENTICATE NTLM
fetchmail: IMAP< +
fetchmail: IMAP>
TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB7IAAAcABwAgAAAABwAHACcAAABldHhid2lyRU1EX1NFMQ==
fetchmail: IMAP< +
TlRMTVNTUAACAAAAEAAQADAAAAAFggEAZNx5FdyB+38AAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAARQBSAEQAUwBFADEAWAAxAA==
fetchmail: IMAP>
TlRMTVNTUAADAAAAGAAYAEAAAAAYABgAWAAAAA4ADgBwAAAADgAOAH4AAAAOAA4AjAAAAAAAAABaAAAABYIBACS5tILneiJ1RBcTsp9UGfSUv8Vl8N1pMpHFyGdPT5WJFIHkmba8ZFG+Ey/8vWjr+UUATQBEAF8AUwBFADEAZQB0AHgAYgB3AGkAcgBlAHQAeABiAHcAaQByAA==
fetchmail: IMAP< A0002 NO Logon failure
fetchmail: IMAP> A0003 *
fetchmail: IMAP> A0004 LOGIN "etxbwir(_at_)EMD_SE1" "*"
fetchmail: IMAP< A0003 BAD Protocol Error: "Unknown command found"
fetchmail: IMAP< A0004 NO Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0005 *
fetchmail: Authorization failure on
etxbwir(_at_)EMD_SE1@ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se
fetchmail: IMAP> A0006 LOGOUT
fetchmail: IMAP< A0005 BAD Protocol Error: "Unknown command found"
fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE Microsoft Exchange IMAP4rev1 server version 5.5.2654.31
signing off
fetchmail: IMAP< A0006 OK LOGOUT completed.
fetchmail: 5.9.8 querying ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se (protocol IMAP) at Mon,
11 Mar 2002 08:58:01 +0100 (MET): poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 3

and here is my run control file:

# Fetchmail run control file for etxbwir

set daemon 300;

poll ESEALNT442.al.sw.ericsson.se
  proto IMAP username etxbwir(_at_)EMD_SE1 password ***** is etxbwir here;

smtphost cbesmtp;