[fetchmail]Re: Fetchmail dies silently in daemon mode on HP-UX 10.20

2002-05-02 06:58:02
Bjorn Wiren <etxbwir(_at_)cbe(_dot_)ericsson(_dot_)se> wrote on Thu, 02 May
2002:

I reported this error a week ago
(http://lists.ccil.org/pipermail/fetchmail-friends/2002-April/002035.html),
but so far there has been no response.

Have you been able to see if fetchmail detects some error before
dying? You could try non-daemon mode and examine the exit code. In my
case, I get this upon authentication failure.

Thanks for the pointer. I did some Google search in the archive before I
posted myself, but could not find anything relevant.

I added "set syslog" to my .fetchmailrc file, and fetchmail-5.9.11 daemon
no longer dies.

When I invoke fetchmail-5.9.11 daemon with double -v option, it also
works, but the console window is cluttered up with an error message in
effect to "procmail[]: Descriptor 1 was not open" on every poll.

I can't explain why adding "set syslog" fixes the daemon's behavior.

BTW, the release string of the "fetchmail -V "printout still reads 5.9.0.
This can be confusing in my opinion.
--
Regards,                                                |       /^^^\
        Yury                                            |     (| , , |)