Re: [fetchmail]Question about fetchmail

2002-06-03 18:53:31
Charlie Sorsby <crs(_at_)swcp(_dot_)com> writes:

Hello,

I hope this is still a valid address; my versions of fetchmail is
probably far from the most current.

PC% fetchmail -V
This is fetchmail release 5.2.0+POP2+RPA+SDPS
FreeBSD quail.my.home 3.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0: Mon Apr 8 18:15:30
MDT 2002
crs(_at_)quail(_dot_)home:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL.CRS  i386

My question is this:  Does fetchmail (this or a more recent
version) allow one to divert incoming e-mail according to the
sender?

For example:  Say I belong to a mailing list.  Suppose that I
create a fake login for myself (e.g. crsx instead of my normal
crs).  Is there any way that e-mail could be directed to crsx
instead of crs so that my normal mailbox only receives my normal
e-mail and that of crsx receives that from the mailing list?

If this possibility does not exist, is there any possibilty that it
could?

It's possible to fetch mail for more than one account with fetchmail,
and you can tell fetchmail where the mail is to be sent, but it's not
sender-specific.

Otherwise, external software can do that. maildrop
<URL:http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/README.html> and procmail
are two examples.

It'd be useful if fetchmail supported address extensions like
sendmail/postfix/qmail do (exim probably as well), and if

joe-ext

could be mapped to

john+ext (that's mapping the POP/IMAP server's extension delimiter to
the local as well as user mapping). I fear I won't have too much time
soon.