Re: [fetchmail]6.0.0 release is imminent

2002-06-22 04:15:48
From: John Summerfield <summer(_at_)os2(_dot_)ami(_dot_)com(_dot_)au>

Jun 22 02:16:57 dugite fetchmail[9435]: SMTP connect to localhost failed

The above message has caused me some days of aggravation and an hour or two
resolving.

Everyone knows localhost is 127.0.0.1, and I could connect with it with telnet,
no worries.

Yup, all people know that, but it's just a name. Computers don't work with hostnames but IP addresses (and MAC addresses before somebody get's smart :>).

It wasn't until I ran the wretched thing under strace I discovered it was trying
to connect to 126.0.0.1.

From there a few seconds to fix /etc/hosts (that popped up in strace too).

I don't know why, in my setup, it's consulting /etc/hosts, but that's a question
for another day.

Because it has to turn the name "localhost" into an IP address. That "localhost" resolves to "127.0.0.1" is a convention. It really doesn't have to (though you'd either have to be nuts to make that change deliberately).

I suggest that the message be changed to reflect the IP address it's trying to connect to (and maybe it should use the standard "connection refused" message
too).

Having the IP as well as the name probably wouldn't hurt. It does help people spot problems such as yours (typos in /etc/hosts etc).

The message however is perfectly clear. Changing it to "connection refused" would muddy the waters. "Connection failed" says "nothing answered", "connection refused" says "something answered and told me to go away". If the above error had said "connection refused" then it would have suggested an access problem on the mail server, not a typo in /etc/hosts.

   Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
       me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.

   Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above :)
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: