[fetchmail] Re: Fetchmail-friends digest, Vol 1 #415 - 4 msgs

2002-06-30 23:55:38
Hello,

Thanks to Oliver Fuchs and Bill Michell and all others.

I missunderstood the feature ESMTP AUTH, thank you for the explaination.

I have to configure my MTA

Kind regards

Arndt

--__--__--
From: "Bill Michell" <bill(_at_)mics(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>
To: fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:11:21 GMT
Subject: [fetchmail]Re: How to use SMTP AUTH

Arndt Stajta writes:

Hello,
I saw that there is ESMTP AUTH in the feature list of fetchmail.

I need SMTP AUTH to send my emails over my ISP, how can i do this
with fetchmail or is this not possible? Please with an example from the
fetchmailrc

I get the mails by POP3 out of the mailboxes very fine. I have only a
dialin connection.

Let me try to understand the problem here. From what you have said, I can
see two possibilities:

1) You are extremely happy with the way fetchmail collects your messages,
but when you write new emails to send to the rest of the world, it doesn't
work because you need to use SMTP AUTH. If this is the case, then this is
nothing to do with fetchmail. fetchmail fetches mail. In order to send mail,
you need a different program - something like sendmail springs to mind, but
there are many, many alternatives (most of which are better than sendmail).

2) Although fetchmail picks incoming stuff up from a POP3 mailbox, it won't
deliver it to the right place. For some reason, the right place is your
ISP's smtp server, and that refuses to accept messages unless you AUTH
first. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of sense in collecting messages
from the internet, and bouncing them straight back to your ISP, but I can
think of some scenarios where you might want to try. You need to know how to
get fetchmail to use AUTH for "local" delivery. This is a fetchmail problem,
and once it is worth going into only if it really is what you are having
difficulty with.

Can you confirm what your actual question is?

FreeMail in der Premiumversion! Mit mehr Speicher, mehr Leistung, mehr
Erlebnis und mehr Pramie. Jetzt unter http://club.web.de/?mc=021105