[fetchmail] delivery agent interface (?)

2002-07-10 00:39:31

Greetings,

For something new I'm working on, I'd like to use fetchmail, but
I would like it to _always_ use a program of my chosing (call it
`foo') to perform local deliveries.

I want this to happen EVEN IF there is an MTA listening on port 25
on the local machine.

OK, so two questions:

1)  How should I build/configure fetchmail so as to cause it to always
use `foo' for local deliveries, no matter what?

2)  Assuming that I will be building `foo' from scratch, what exactly is
the protocol that fetchmail will use when giving messages to `foo'?  Will
the message be formatted according to any special rules (above and beyond
those of RFC 2821/2822) ?  What I mean is, will things like embedded From_
lines already be escapped with leading >'s or not?  And how will the re-
cipient address be trasmitted between fetchmail and procmail?  Or will it
just be assumed that the user account under which these programs are run
is the account to which the deliveries are to me made?

Thanks in advance for any help.