[fetchmail] Disappearing Mail

2002-07-16 14:10:54

I'm having a case of disappearing mail, that is different than what appears
in the FAQ.  First off, fetchmail was working, but I'm guessing I did something
to some how fall it up. (Go figure)

I run 'fetchmail' and it heads to my POP3 server of my ISP.  Tells me I have
7 messages (for example) and proceeds to read them and flush them.  When it
is done it goes back to my shell prompt.  One thing that is missing is the:
"You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/tsaphah" message.  When I go into pine
or mutt there is no new mail.  A 'ls -lah /var/spool/mail' shows tsaphah's size
to be 0.

Ok, my system.  I'm running Redhat 7.3.. fetchmail --version shows:

This is fetchmail release 5.9.0+IMAP-GSS+NTLM+SSL+INET6+NLS
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.7-10 #1 Thu Sep 6 17:27:27 EDT 2001 i686
unknownTaking
options from command line and /home/tsaphah/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /home/tsaphah/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to tsaphah.
Options for retrieving from mathese(_at_)pop3(_dot_)eoni(_dot_)com:
  True name of server is adam3.eoni.com.
  Protocol is POP3.
  All available authentication methods will be tried.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Idle after poll is disabled (idle off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Delivered-To lines will be kept (dropdelivered off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.

Extras:
I did have some lines in the /etc/mail/access for blocking spam, however earlier
today I couldn't even get out so I removed those as a test.  Still didn't work.
Apparently I had shutdown a needed service, because when I started some that
I thought were "useless" I was then able to connect to my POP3 and download.
 Specifically it was stopping at trying to download the first message.

Is there another service that I may have inadvertantly stop that needs to be
running so I don't loose my mail?  I've already lost 15+ messages so I would
really appreciate any help.  For now I'm using my web-based interface.