[fetchmail] unexpected behaviour with undeliverable mail

2002-08-03 23:55:57
Hello Fetchmail Friends!

After reading through the FAQ and the very extensive manual,
I'm still a little bit confused how the current version of
Fetchmail works. ;-)

What I want to do is very simple. Fetch mail from a POP3 account
and then deliver it to another account via SMTP.

This works fine as long as the delivery to the SMTP server
succeeds, but it behaves "confusing" if the SMTP server refuses
the mail for some reason.

I'm happy for any type of help (maybe I just overlooked some
cool options. ;-)

1. By default, it deletes mail.

What surprises me most is the fact that fetchmail's default
configuration is to delete any undeliverable mail without
any notification when the transfer to the destination
SMTP server fails with certain error codes.

The manual calls it "antispam" feature, but - for example -
getting an SMTP error code 550 doesn't necessarily mean that
it's spam. It could be a syntactically incorrect header, or a
temporary DNS problem.

Okay, this can be disabled with "antispam -1" (what only seems
to work if used in the fetchmailrc file, but not if used on the
command line ;-)  I had expected that "antispam -1" is the
default (because it's much safer this way).

2. How to disable bounces?

If the "antispam" feature is disabled, a bounce is generated
for an undeliverable mail.

Fetchmail tries to find the sender of the mail and sends the
bounce back to that address.

Especially in spam messages, both addresses are mostly fake.
Sometimes the addresses are just invalid, but sometimes these
are existing addresses (of innocent people on the net) that
were misused by the spammer (because he needed to specify a
valid address - of course, not his own - so that mail servers
won't reject it). I guess, those people are not really
interested in bounces because it wasn't them who sent the