Re: [fetchmail] fetchmail 5.9.0 loses mail

2002-08-26 02:08:07
Felix Lee <flee(_at_)aracnet(_dot_)com> writes:

symptom:

  fetchmail fails to deliver a message to the local smtp
  server, and then deletes the message on the pop server,
  thus silently losing the message.

explanation:

  sendmail is saying 550, which fetchmail thinks means "this
  is spam", but the problem is really something else.

  Silent operation is bad.  I didn't know why fetchmail was
  dropping the mail, and fetchmail -v didn't give me any
  clues.  I figured it out when I looked in the source code.
  Yes, reading the whole man page would have helped, but
  it's a long man page, and it's not obvious what section
  would have answered my question.

  It would be helpful to print a summary line that says "N
  spam messages deleted" when N is nonzero.

  And I don't think the spam handling should be on by
  default.  I don't have any faith that fetchmail can know
  all the MTA codes that mean "this message is spam".

"antispam -1" turns this feature off.

BTW, fetchmail 5.9.0 when using POP3+UIDL code will "lose" mail
(i. e. not retry a piece of mail) when there are temporary delivery
errors. Update to 5.9.13 at least.

fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-wolf Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<flee(_at_)kanga>
fetchmail: SMTP< 550 5.0.0 Access denied

BTW, this is infact a piece of spam. Mail must be sent with
fully-qualified sender domain name. No wonder sendmail rejects this. Any
sane MTA would do that.

If flee(_at_)kanga is really a legitimate sender, tell them to use
fully-qualified sender domains in the envelope...