Re: [fetchmail] Double bounce (Was: unexpected behaviour with undeliverable mail)

2002-09-01 06:11:32
Sunil Shetye <shetye(_at_)bombay(_dot_)retortsoft(_dot_)com> writes:

I presume, this means that 550 should be added in the single drop case
only. This means that the default antispam list should be different
for multidrop and single drop cases.

The safe default would be to leave the antispam list empty.

I now realise that the reason for the missing bounces was the
inclusion of 550 in antispam by default!

Oh hum. Even though the machine I reported this against, ludwig.ping.de,
has been off-line for many months now, I happen to have the original
configuration here, because it was a well-documented one. And indeed, it
has

  antispam 571 554 501          # 550 nicht!

for the multidrop case ("nicht" is German for "not").

On tracing, it shows that for each invalid recipient, open_smtp_sink()
calls handle_smtp_report() which can call send_bouncemail(). Also, at
the end, if there are any invalid recipients, send_bouncemail() is
called with all invalid recipients. This leads to the double bounces.
In fact, this leads to (number of invalid recipients)+1 bounce mails,
though nobody seems to have reported this! When

Good catch.

EXPLICIT_BOUNCE_ON_BAD_ADDRESS is undefined, this leads to one bounce
mail less. However, when 550 is included in the spam list, this leads
to no bounce mails at all!

On analysing the report now:

<http://lists.ccil.org/pipermail/fetchmail-friends/2001-August/000864.html>

Second bounce:

| Some addresses were rejected by the MDA fetchmail forwards to.
| -----
| Reporting-MTA: dns; ludwig.ping.de
| | Final-Recipient: rfc822; testuser
| Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 19:41:48 +0200 (CEST)
| Action: failed
| Diagnostic-Code: testuser: 221 Bye

This has come from send_bouncemail() called after all the smtp
transaction. The most weird thing is the Diagnostic-Code: which is
incorrect because it comes from the last smtp response which was
modified by send_bouncemail() called from handle_smtp_report()!

I thought something like clobbering the internal state at that time, but
was unable to track it.  Thanks very much.