[fetchmail] fetchmail hangs/crashes on timeout

2002-09-25 17:04:14
Hi, I've searched google, tuxedo, and the fetchmail FAQ but haven't found any help. perhaps somone here as an idea.

Once every month or so, my fetchmail either hangs or crashes (I'm not sure which, I really should check before rebooting, but I'm always so anxious to get my missing mail). the last log message from fetchmail is always the same, and a reboot always fixes the problem:

Sep 25 10:51:58 piggie fetchmail[321]: timeout after 300 seconds waiting for server mail.bayarea.net. Sep 25 10:51:58 piggie fetchmail[321]: client/server synchronization error while fetching from mail.bayarea.net

I suppose if this message means the daemon has exited, I could just write a simple shell script daemon to restart fetchmail if it is detected to not be running any more, but I thought perhaps there's another answer.

My configuration is:
Mac OS X 10.1.5, Fetchmail 5.8.0, talking to a POP3 server on the ISP side, and postfix MTA/IMAP4 server on my side.

my .fetchmailrc file is:
set syslog
set daemon 60
poll mail.bayarea.net protocol pop3 username "khawk" password "*****" is khawk here and wants smtpaddress piggie.bayarea.net poll mail.bayarea.net protocol pop3 username "bkusler" password "*****" is brian here and wants smtpaddress piggie.bayarea.net

Any suggestions are welcome. Yes, I probably should upgrade to 6.1.0, and it's theoretically possible to get my ISP to host my mail via IMAP4 rather than POP.... but I'm not certain either of those things would solve my problem! :-) Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide. About all I have to offer in return is a 15% discount on a complete mac system or iPod, which is about 5% better than mail-order.
-- Kelly --