Re: [fetchmail] Fetchmail and imap.myrealbox.com

2002-10-18 06:30:59
Olivier Bornet <Olivier(_dot_)Bornet(_at_)puck(_dot_)ch>:
My patch adds an option nologindisable which tells fetchmail to ignore
that capability for the server.

As one of the mail server I use also have this problem (since maybe one
year now...), I'm interested to known if the patch will be incorporated
in the main distribution. (an official answer ?)

No, it will not be.  This patch is micro-smart and macro-stupid -- a
good implementation of the wrong idea, because the submitter rushed to code
before thinking about the context of the problem.

I don't like changes that add protocol-specific options, especially when
those options are workarounds for specific broken servers.

Instead of this big heavyweight patch, I have made a two-line change that
causes the IMAP code to ignore LOGINDISABLED if "auth password" was
specified.  Duh!

The best kind of feature is one that doesn't need an option because it
autoconfigures itself by noticing what the server is doing.  The next best
kind is one that assumes the user knows what he is doing when he chooses
non-defaults and does whatever is necessary to make those defaults work.
The worst kind of feature adds a switch that easily be set incompatibly
with other switches even when it's possible to deduce the right setting.

*Think* before patching!