[fetchmail] Re: Fetchmail & Demon SDPS in daemon mode

2002-10-31 01:34:20
Hello again,
   I am still trying to persuade a dedicated computer to act as a local
smarthost mailserver. I now have a permanent ADSL connection, so
fetchmail does not need a password (there is a password available for
when Demon is polled from a remote location), but must collect mail for
all local users on my domain, polling the sdps/pop3 "mailstore" server
at Demon every few minutes. Another computer is connected via the same
hub, at present collecting mail by polling on behalf of individual named
users, but can not act as a local smarthost mailserver. Am I going about
this in the best way? Has anyone managed to get this working with Demon?
The received headers on my Acorn computer look like the following
examples:

           id aa2100950; 29 Oct 2002 16:44 GMT

        by relay2.ftech.net with esmtp (Exim 3.22-ftech-p6.1 #7)
        id 1865dQ-0004xe-00; Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:52:32 +0000

   I am trying to use a 486 with

Debian 3.0
Fetchmail 5.9.11+NTLM+SDPS+SSL+NLS in daemon mode polling every few minutes
Exim
IMAP server

   Debian suggest not running Fetchmail as root. I have tried many
combinations and permutations of the configurations suggested in the
manual and the FAQ, saved to /root/.fetchmailrc
   The usual messages are Segmentation fault or Parse error. The
configuration which seems most likely to succeed (more is read before
the error message) is the one from the FAQ, but it still fails to start
fetchmail

poll pop3.demon.co.uk proto sdps aka mailstore no dns:
    localdomains my_domain.demon.co.uk
    user my_domain is * here keep

   I have tried adding some aliases, and changing the details in the
third line, but just ended up with more errors. Even trying to declare a
pssword introduces parse errors.
   I have configured Exim to take my_domain.demon.co.uk as a local
address, and set up some aliases in /etc/aliases, so I hope Exim will
accept any output from fetchmail. I would like to be able to check
mis-addressed mail, diverted to (postmaster), but reject obvious spam.
   The firewall acts as a DNS relay to a separate DNS box, so there is
no problem seeing Demon.

   Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

--
Chris Bell