[fetchmail] Fetching all from Demon to a dedicated local mailserver

2002-12-23 05:47:29
Hello,
   I have been using an Acorn computer for many years, and have other
operating systems here, but wanted to get a dedicated mailserver collecting
mail from Demon for all local users in daemon mode, which could then be
accessed using IMAP. I recently changed from a dial-up to an ADSL
connection, and am now forced to use pop3/SDPS. I have a computer running
standard Debian 3.0r0 with the kernel 2.4 option to use as the mailserver.
   I have been fighting to get Fetchmail to start in daemon mode, although I
was able to get it to run continuously in debug-run mode. The documentation
does warn that the debug mode will not show errors specific only to daemon
mode. I was still collecting mail directly using the Acorn, and just wanted
to see Fetchmail start and run correctly, so I had set the options to fetch
all, keep (not delete) the mail on the Demon server, and not bounce
anything. The only result when trying to start Fetchmail in daemon mode was
(failed). I could not spot anything wrong using strace.
   I finally decided to just leave Fetchmail running in debug mode, so
removed the fetchall and keep options, and enabled bounces. Fetchmail then
started correctly in daemon mode. I do not think that anything else was
changed. There had been some mis-addressed junk mail on the server at Demon,
reported in debug mode, which has now been cleared. I will continue to run
the mailserver and keep careful watch on its operation.

--
Chris Bell