Re: [fetchmail] fetchmail won't retrieve messages

2003-03-19 02:59:18
From: Ben Clewett <B(_dot_)Clewett(_at_)roadrunner(_dot_)uk(_dot_)com>

Fetchamil Friends,

I am using a single multidrop mailbox, uploading using Fetchmail (5.9.0), distributing to local users through Sendmail in an expected usual way:

That's a *VERY* old version, make sure you upgrade to something more recent (like 6.2.1).

user "user" password "pass" to "any" * here

Try removing "any":

user "user" password "pass" to * here

To ensure I get all email to correct accounts, I'm using the 'X-Envelope-To' hack in both Sendmail and the counterpart Fetchmail, which works always, including BCC and Mailing lists.

My problem is that I cannot get email addressed to a user Sendmail does not know, to be rejected and returned 'User unknown'. The mail always goes to the 'postmaster'. I have not set the 'set no bouncemail', in fact I have tried 'set bouncemail' to no effect. All known users get their mail perfectly.

Do you have LUSER_RELAY defined in Sendmail? What do your sendmail.mc and .fetchmailrc look like?

From looking at the documentation, this may be a feature, I am not entirelly sure. If it a feature, I am sure there is a nice way of dissabling this. My only evidence for this is that entering 'fetchmail -V' replies with:

"Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to (postmaster)."

Well, first thing to do, as I said above, is upgrade fetchmail. Then check to see if you're still getting the same problem.

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

Surf together with new Shared Browsing http://join.msn.com/?page=features/browse&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=74&DI=1059