[fetchmail] fetchmail not fetching

2003-05-14 09:58:07
The fetchmail command (using either fetchmail demon or plain fetchmail) fails
to deliver mail into my mail box -- I have to resort to using mozilla-mail
to get my mail.

I have a simple two-user system with the following characteristics:

Linux 2.2.20;  Debian3.0;  Fetchmail 6.2;  Exim MTA;  mutt MUA.

PC with AMD 400mhz chip; 196meg ram; 8 gig HD; Award BIOS.

My .fetchmailrc file reads as follows:  poll myisp with proto IMAP user "user"
with password "password"

When I use the "fetchmail" command, I get a rewarding first two lines, namely;

xx messages for sam at wdn.com
reading message sam(_at_)wdn(_dot_)com:1 of xx (yyyy header octets)

which after 300 seconds terminates with the following error messages:
Socket error while delivering to SMTP host via wdn.com
Query status=2 (SOCKET)

I do not understand what the "socket" is and how to troubleshoot the problem.

I'd really appreciate any specific advice.

sam