[fetchmail] incorrect header line found while scanning headers

2003-06-10 08:06:57
I have been having problems with the above error message for several months
(at least). I finally got fed up enough to hack together a simple patch for
it in fetchmail.

Basically what I did is told it that when it finds the body without the
blank, act like it found the blank and pass the message along to the rest of
the processing. This lets the local MTA decide whether or not to accept it
(Qmail happily does).

If this isn't done it ends up staying on the server, and being transferred
each and every time you check for mail (you may want to check your fetchmail
logs, it resulted in about 10kBs of average bandwidth on my system and tons
of error messages in the logs).

From the archives I see this problem has been asked about before, but no
good solutions provided. If this breaks something else in fetchmail please
let me know (or fix it).

The MTA on my server is qmail and it happily delivers the mail, so in my
opinion fetchmail ought not do anything contrary to this. Yes, the mail is
not RFC822 compliant, but so what? You can still tell (with reasonable
certainty) where the headers end by searching for the non ':' line.

Sorry for the long first post, but I wanted to get this patch out quickly.

Brian Lane

--
--[Inside 71.3F]--[Outside 55.9F]--[Gonzo 112.1F]--[Coaster 59.7F]--
Linux Software Developer                     http://www.brianlane.com